A day after a Grade 9 student opened fire inside the Ateneo de Zamboanga University Junior High School campus, killing a schoolmate before taking his own life, authorities are piecing together how two firearms — one of them a government-issued service pistol — ended up in the hands of a minor.
The attack unfolded around 7:45 a.m. on Tuesday, August 18, 2026, barely an hour after classes began at the campus in Barangay Tumaga, Zamboanga City. Police said the student entered a fourth-floor classroom, fired at a teacher and missed, then moved to another room where he shot and killed a fellow student one grade above him. Investigators described it as an apparent premeditated attack.
Department of the Interior and Local Government Secretary Jonvic Remulla, in a phone interview with reporters, said the gunman — whom authorities are treating as a child in conflict with the law — livestreamed the shooting on social media through a body-worn camera before dying. According to Remulla, the student went to an upper floor of the building and jumped to his death after the attack. Some initial police accounts had said he shot himself; the discrepancy is among the details still being reconciled by the Scene of the Crime Operatives, whose final report Mayor Khymer Adan Olaso said authorities are still awaiting.
Ateneo de Zamboanga University confirmed the two deaths. University president Fr. Guillrey Anthony “Ernald” Andal, SJ, said there was no longer an active threat and no additional fatalities, and that students had been evacuated and released to their parents. Reports on the number of wounded have varied, with several outlets citing nine injured students and others describing the injury count as still undetermined.
Much of the day-after scrutiny has centered on the weapons. A senior customs official said one of the firearms was a pistol issued by the Bureau of Customs to the shooter’s father, a customs officer, while the second was the father’s licensed personal firearm. The Bureau of Customs relieved the father from his post as district commander of the Port of Zamboanga Enforcement and Security Services. BOC Commissioner Ariel Nepomuceno said the move was ordered to allow an impartial investigation into possible negligence in the handling and safekeeping of the service firearm, stressing that the father had no direct involvement in the shooting but that personnel remain accountable for the proper storage of issued weapons.
The Philippine National Police is investigating the shooter’s motive, the ownership and source of the firearms, how they were brought onto campus, and whether any security or procedural lapses contributed to the incident. PNP Chief P/Gen. Jose Melencio Nartatez Jr. appealed to the public to stop sharing unverified reports, photos, and videos, particularly footage involving minors. Meta has been taking down video of the attack, and the Cybercrime Investigation and Coordinating Center is examining whether the online gaming platform Roblox had any connection to the case, an angle Remulla raised in linking violent online content to the attack.
President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. ordered a full investigation into the shooting’s root causes and directed agencies to strengthen protection for students nationwide. “We grieve with the families and the entire Ateneo de Zamboanga community over a tragedy that should never have happened,” he said in a statement.
The incident has revived legislative pressure on gun access and youth safety. Remulla vowed to push for criminal liability against gun owners whose licensed firearms are used in crimes by another person, arguing that current law leaves a gap in accountability. “Sa nangyari dito, wala kaming ma-charge dahil bitin ang batas,” he said, noting that the shortfall prevented authorities from filing charges. In the Senate, President Sherwin Gatchalian demanded clear answers on how a minor obtained and carried two firearms into a school, while other senators renewed calls for tighter firearms controls and backed pending measures on school safety, guidance counseling, and children’s online protection.
The Department of Education said it is coordinating with mental health partners to provide psychological first aid and psychosocial support to affected students, families, and school personnel. Ateneo de Zamboanga suspended classes at all levels and declared Wednesday, August 19, a day of mourning and prayer.
The Zamboanga attack is the second school shooting in the Philippines in roughly two months, following a June incident at San Jose National High School in Tacloban City that left three dead and about 20 wounded — a case in which Remulla had similarly pointed to adult negligence in giving minors access to firearms. It came less than 10 days after a school shooting on the outskirts of Bangkok, Thailand, sharpening regional attention on campus safety.

