Malacañang issued Vice President Sara Duterte’s travel authority for a personal trip to Japan on August 17, only to be asked to withdraw it a day later once the Vice President’s plans shifted. Palace Press Officer Undersecretary Claire Castro laid out the timeline plainly: “TA (travel authority) was issued on August 17; it was asked by OVP (Office of the Vice President) to be cancelled on August 18.”
The clearance had covered travel from August 19 to 24 and, according to the Office of the President, carried no cost to the government. In a statement, Duterte pushed back on media accounts describing the trip as still on, saying the reporting no longer reflected reality. “My plans have since changed, and the updated information on this matter was formally submitted to the Office of the President,” she said.
Duterte tied her objection to a broader grievance with how her movements are made public. She argued that repeatedly releasing details of where she is headed puts her in danger. “Likewise, I wish to again remind the Office of the President that the continued publication or disclosure of my schedule is a matter of serious concern, particularly as it compromises my personal security and exposes me to heightened risks,” she said.
The Palace was unmoved by that reasoning. Castro maintained that Duterte’s position as an elected official leaves little room for keeping her whereabouts private, especially when taxpayers foot the bill for those around her. “She should be reminded that she is a public official and cannot just hide her face wherever she goes. There is nothing wrong with informing the public about the travel authority, as public funds are being spent on her security and staff,” Castro said.
Pressed on whether the record was muddled, Castro insisted the paperwork itself was never in question. “There is TA for Japan. There is no issue on accuracy on that because there is TA,” she said.
The Manila Times reported that the OVP received the formal cancellation from the Office of the President at roughly 4:08 p.m. Tuesday by email. The friction over travel comes as Duterte remains the subject of impeachment proceedings in the House, and it follows a similar episode earlier this year when she abandoned an approved trip to five countries after complaining that Malacañang had signed off on her travel authority only at the last minute.

