Actor Basty Askri says sorry for cursing at 911, clarifies it was the barangay ambulance that came

The equipment gaps and delays that actor and event host Basty Askri described in a widely shared Facebook post were tied to his barangay’s ambulance rather than the response dispatched through the national hotline — a distinction he acknowledged only after posting, and one that reshaped the entire complaint that had gone viral over the weekend.

In a follow-up message, Basty walked back the profanity-laden accusations he had aimed at Unified 911, saying grief and confusion had led him to blame the wrong people in the moment his father was dying. “First, I would like to sincerely apologize for the inappropriate words I used regarding the 911 hotline. I was extremely emotional and overwhelmed by what was happening to my father at that time. I’m very sorry po,” he wrote.

His original post, published Saturday, August 15, 2026, had described a harrowing wait for help. He said he spent close to ten minutes trying to get through to the emergency line, and that when an operator finally picked up, he was told only to wait while he heard laughter and casual chatter on the other end. “Halos 10 minutes na akong tumatawag sa 911 pero wala pa ring sumasagot. At nung may sumagot na, putangina, puro ‘wait’. Rinig na rinig ko pa yung tawanan at chikahan habang may taong nangangailangan ng emergency assistance,” he said.

The actor recounted performing CPR on his father himself as the medical emergency unfolded, continuing the chest compressions even after an ambulance arrived because, he said, no one relieved him and the vehicle carried no automated external defibrillator or adequate supplies. His father later died.

By his own reconstructed timeline, drawn from his phone’s call log, the 911 call ended at 12:18 p.m., and it was not until 12:38 p.m. that he received a call from the ambulance linked to the hotline response — by which point his family had already reached the hospital. That gap, he explained, is why he cannot personally confirm whether the 911-dispatched vehicle ever reached their home. What did arrive quickly, he said, was help summoned separately: his older brother ran to the barangay hall for assistance minutes after their father lost consciousness, and barangay responders came to the house shortly after.

Basty credited those local officials, responders, and the barangay ambulance driver for their speed, and cautioned that he could not say with certainty why some equipment or personnel appeared to be missing when they arrived, given how fast events moved. He said he did not want to spread assumptions or wrong information about it.

The controversy had already reached the national government. Department of the Interior and Local Government Secretary Jonvic Remulla told reporters on Saturday, August 15, that his agency was looking into the allegation of a slow response from the Unified 911 hotline. The Taguig local government, for its part, extended condolences to the family through its official Facebook channel.

Citing the pending review by Remulla and other authorities, Basty said he and his family would hold off on answering further questions about the incident, preferring to let the investigation determine what went wrong and what needs fixing. He framed his outburst as a plea rather than a tantrum, saying he wanted people to direct their anger at what he called a broken system.

His single stated hope, he wrote, was that no other family would have to go through the same thing.