Pope Francis is expected to be discharged from Gemelli Hospital in Rome on Sunday, following a five-week stay due to double pneumonia.
Doctors said the 88-year-old pontiff experienced two critical health episodes during his hospitalization, with his life reportedly in danger at one point. Despite the severity of his condition, he was never intubated and remained conscious throughout.
Dr. Sergio Alfieri, one of the doctors overseeing the Pope’s care, said Francis is now in stable condition but will require at least two months of rest back at the Vatican.
“Today we are happy to say that tomorrow he will be at home,” Dr. Alfieri told reporters on Saturday.
The Vatican had earlier noted improvements in the Pope’s breathing and mobility. He no longer needs nighttime mechanical ventilation and is now using a nasal oxygen tube.
Public appearances have been rare during his hospitalization. He was last seen in a Vatican-released photo praying in the hospital chapel, and earlier this month, his breathless voice was heard in an audio message thanking the faithful for their prayers.
Pope Francis, who has led the Roman Catholic Church for nearly 12 years, has long struggled with respiratory issues, having lost part of a lung in his youth.